Garden Mulch Ideas For Your Home
Personally, I am a huge fan of placing mulch in and around the gardens and flower beds of my yard. In this post, I will show you some garden mulch ideas that will benefit your landscape by using what are considered good horticulture practices.
Running to the big box store for that good deal on red mulch is not exactly considered a good practice.
I will get to that red stuff later.
Let’s start here: The best way to save time as a gardener is taking the time to lay down a good quality mulch everywhere from the flower beds to the vegetable garden.Mulched gardens are healthier because of the organic benefits, they have fewer weeds, and are more drought t-resistant than those gardens that do not use good mulching practices.
You will use less hence spend less on water, you will not be breaking your back weeding as much, your wanted plants will not have to compete with those weeds, and you will have fewer pest problems.
Basic Mulching Guidelines
- Do not use bad mulch. Those coloured mulches are not the greatest (again, more on that later) and some unreliable sources could be loaded with weed seeds because of where it was stored before it was obtained by you. Be sure of the source.
- About 2-3 inches of mulch is recommended for beds and done twice a year. Mulching with the right amount each time will give you the most benefits
- Try to avoid putting down landscape fabric or plastic. You want the mulch to come into contact with the soil so it can work its organic magic on the soil. Those barriers could also cause water runoff defeating the purpose of less watering.
- Grass clipping is a mulch. Leave at least half the clipping on your lawn. Compost the rest for the beds.
- And talking about composting, if you want to use felled leaves as mulch, they should be aged for a good 9 months.
- Keep mulch at least 1″ away from the plant stems and 3″ away from tree trunks to prevent water collection in those areas that will promote rot.
More Garden Mulch Ideas
If you have any questions or comments, please let us know.